Using the Inventory Import Tool
You can import all of your items at the same time using our Generic Inventory Sheet along with our Import Tool.
Before you begin, here's a couple things to keep in mind.
- You don't need to create your suppliers ahead of time, simply add them to the Generic Sheet and the system will create your suppliers for you when importing.
- All fields in the Generic Sheet are required. You will get an error if you leave anything blank. If you don't want to use a particular field, just enter 0.
- If you need to apply tax to your items, make sure you setup your sales tax ahead of time. In addition, if you have taxable and non-taxable items, you'll need to create two inventory sheets - one for taxable items, one for non-taxable items.
First, you need to prepare the Generic Inventory Sheet:
- Download the Generic Inventory Sheet.
- Add the Item Description, UPC/Lookup code, Cost (what you pay for the item), Price (what you charge for the item), Quantity, Department, Category, Supplier, and Reorder Number (How your supplier identifies that item.)
- Select all of your data and change the formatting to Text in Excel. Please note that depending on your Excel settings, this step might alter your UPCs or Reorder Numbers! Be sure to double check them for accuracy.
- Save the file as an Excel 97-2003 Document. (File will end in .xls) You will get an error if the file is in a different format.
Once you've got your file ready, you'll need to configure the system to use your file.
Login to Cashier Live
If you are taken to the Settings page, select a register and then click 'Enter Register'
You should now be on the Cashier tab, click on the 'Manager' tab on the left then click the 'Suppliers' tab on the right side
We're going to create a Supplier to use for uploading taxable items. Click Add.
Select No for National Supplier.
Enter a name for your for the Supplier Name. Enter a unique code under Code, and enter a unique number for Account Number.
Click 'Add New Supplier' when done.
Step 1 of Inventory Import Tool
Now you will want to click on the 'Item Import' tab on the right side
You can add a new supplier configuration or click the drop to choose an existing import configuration
For this example, we just clicked on 'Save & Next'
Step 2 of Inventory Import Tool
Type in a configuration name for your import
Select the supplier you just created
Choose a default department and category
Set a tax level for the import
Check the following boxes:
"Use Generic Spreadsheet"
"Make Primary Supplier"
"Update Dept./Cat. from file"
"Update Description from file"
"Update Inventory from file"
Choose the store(s) you want to import the inventory into
Click on 'Save Configuration' when done
Step 3 of Inventory Import Tool
Next you will want to click 'Choose File' and browse your files for your inventory sheet
Find your excel sheet that you want to import using the Windows File Explorer and click 'Open'
Once your file has been loaded, click on 'Upload File' to start the import process
A small window will appear with a loading bar that shows you the import progress, the time the import takes should only be a few seconds but some larger inventories can take a bit longer
If you see "Complete" you're all set! The items have been added to your inventory. If you get an error, see below.
If you have non taxable items, repeat these steps with a different supplier named UploadNoTax, and choose Non-Tax from the tax box in Step 2 of the import.
If you encounter an error:
- Double check that your file is an Excel 97-2003 document. The import tool will not work with any other format.
- Make sure you started with our original Generic Inventory Sheet. Sometimes when you copy/paste data over from other applications which can alter the formatting and cause problems.
- Try opening a blank version of our sheet and copying the data over from the old sheet to the new one and import again.
- Ensure the cells in your sheet are all formatted as Text.
- Make sure you don't have any typos in your prices, such as 10..95 instead of 10.95.
- Check for special characters like apostrophes in your Departments, Categories, and Supplier names.
- Make sure there are no blank cells in your file.
If you still have problems, please email the inventory file you are using to firstname.lastname@example.org with your store name and we'll be happy to help you.